Everyone knows that dogs are going to chew things up. As proud dog parents, we’ve all been there. We know that innocent, but destructive, chewing is a fact of life with dogs, especially puppies. If you’re an owner of a dog like this – you should really consider a chew proof dog bed.
Even some older dogs will incessantly chew the wrong things, especially the herding and hunting breeds.
Here’s the deal — you wake up in the morning to find your rambunctious pup chomping on gobs of white stuffing freshly gutted from that bargain dog bed you just bought the day before. Sound familiar?
You might be wondering, what can I do to deter my dog’s chewing attack on his bed? You can:
- Spray the bed with bitter apple or pepper repellent. This will save the bed but only because your dog won’t go near it. He’ll just move to the couch and terrorize it instead.
- Take your puppy to an obedience trainer. This might work and it might not. You could spend $500 or more and your wayward pooch may still destroy the bed when you bring him home.
- Forget about cushy, but cheaply made, bargain beds. Buy a durable dog bed that your dog can’t sink his teeth into. You’ll pay a bit more but you will only buy it once — why repeatedly throw money away on cheap dog beds that just get chewed to pieces?
What Exactly Is a Chew Proof Dog Bed?
Chew-proof dog beds are typically high quality, raised beds made of tough, durable materials that are resistant to the chewing, gnawing and clawing of a puppy or nervous dog.
The best chew proof dog beds are designed for long lasting indoor/outdoor use and come with a chew damage replacement warranty.
Various indestructible dog beds are also available in cushion style – see our guide to the top indestructible dog beds.
Quick Top 5 Guide Chew Proof Dog Beds
|Kuranda All-Aluminum Chewproof Dog Bed||Cot||5||$$$|
|Kuranda Walnut PVC Chewproof Dog Bed - Vinyl Weave||Cot||4.5||$$|
|Kuranda Walnut PVC Chewproof Dog Bed - Cordura||Cot||4.5||$$|
|K9 Ballistics Chew Proof Aluminum Cujo Cot||Cot||4.5||$$$|
|Coolaroo Steel-Framed Pet Bed||Cot||4.5||$|
What Makes a Dog Bed Chew Proof?
Obviously, it’s all about the materials used in the construction of the beds. The fabrics used for chew proof dog beds are the same that are used for other applications that require durable, anti-tear properties such as luggage, backpacks, military gear, and industrial tarps.
Three fabrics commonly used in a chew proof dog bed are:
- Ballistic Nylon ‒ This is a synthetic nylon fabric tightly woven in a 2×2 basket weave pattern that resists chewing, fraying, puncture, scuffing, tearing, and water. The strongest and most durable ballistic nylon is made of 1050 denier nylon which will stand up to rough use and repeated washing.
- Cordura® Fabric ‒ This is made of synthetic nylon fibers woven into a soft but extremely durable canvas type material that will resist abuse similar to ballistic nylon. The most damage resistant but least soft Cordura® is made of 100% nylon. Cordura® Classic and Cordura® Ballistic fabrics are typically used for cushion type dog beds. These are durable, rugged blends tightly woven to resist even the most aggressive chewers yet still provide softness and comfort.
- Heavy-duty Vinyl Weave ‒ This is a durable fabric that is chemical, mildew, oil and water resistant with a very high tear strength. This material is commonly used in the manufacture of heavy-duty industrial tarps and has become a favorite choice for the indoor/outdoor elevated dog beds.
When comparing chew proof dog beds be sure to look at the frame as well as the fabric bed. To the curious eye of your teething pup, his new raised bed is just another fine piece of furniture waiting to be taste-tested.
For the best chew proof elevated dog beds, always look for one constructed with a high-grade aluminum or heavy-duty PVC frame with tear resistant, waterproof woven fabric with no exposed edges.
Check out our Anatomy of an Indestructible Dog Bed article for more tips.
Our Top 5 Recommended Chew Proof Dog Beds
We’ve hand selected 5 of the best chew proof dog beds on the market to help in your comparison shopping.
Below is a simple table comparing our 5 top chew proof dog beds. Thereafter you’ll find our thorough review of the attributes, pros & cons and a value assessment of each chew proof dog bed.
This is Kuranda’s top of the line elevated dog bed. An attractive bed for indoors or out, the all-aluminum bed offers amazing comfort and orthopedic support for dogs of all sizes and ages. Plus, it’s backed with a one-year chew proof warranty.
If you want the best value for your wallet and your dog, then search no further — this is the dog bed you’ve been looking for!
Priced well under many competing brands that are prone to chewing damage, the Kuranda All-Aluminum Ballistic Nylon Bed is the industry leader for chew proof construction, dog comfort and durability.
Kuranda is well known for their use of top quality materials, unique and durable dog bed designs and great customer service. This Kuranda chew proof dog bed works very well for dogs of all sizes — from toy to giant breeds.
If you’re looking for an attractive dog bed with outstanding value that fits your budget, as well as superior indoor/outdoor comfort for your dog, then this popular chew proof bed is an excellent choice.
The Kuranda Chew Proof Vinyl Weave Bed offers long lasting value at a competitive price with outstanding sleep comfort for dogs of all sizes.
This Kuranda raised dog bed is well built and it is guaranteed to stand up to chewing and clawing.
Compared to higher priced beds with similar construction, this bed offers true economy, comfort, style and durability that any dog parent will appreciate.
All in all, the Kuranda Walnut PVC Chew Proof Dog Bed is a top quality indoor bed offering solid value and comfort at a competitive price.
The K9 Ballistics Cujo Cot is truly the best choice for dog owners with aggressive and chronic chewers. Sacrificing comfort for toughness, this raised dog bed is not for your sweet, arthritic senior dog.
This is a bed for all the Cujo type dogs out there — those dogs that have destroyed every dog bed they’ve ever had!
If you’re the pack leader of one or more of these dogs, then the Cujo Cot is the perfect dog bed for you.
The K9 Cujo Cot is a bargain at any price considering the frustration you’ll avoid and the cost of replacing less tough beds you’ll save by owning it.
If you have one or more dogs that persistently chew, then this is the must have dog bed for you!
The Coolaroo raised pet bed offers a sturdy steel frame with a breathable high density polyethylene (HDPE) bed fabric. Built for durability and dog comfort this bed will give you years of reliable use.
The tough HDPE knitted fabric will resist tooth punctures and tears but the open corners of the fabric do make it vulnerable to persistent chewers or teething pups.
Although this raised bed is not chew proof, it is well built and will give years of comfortable use for dogs not prone to habitual furniture chewing.
The Coolaroo bed is priced low so it is competitive against the box store dog bed prices, yet the bed will hold its value as a durable bed for normal use.
A Chew Proof Bed Is a Smart Investment!
Young or old, every companion and working dog needs a restful place to sleep that he can claim as his own. Just like your own bed, a dog bed should be comfortable, easy on the muscles and joints and damage resistant so that it lasts.
Keep in mind when choosing your dog’s bed, to get the right size bed for your pooch.
A dog bed that is chew proof is an affordable investment you’ll be glad you made if you have a teething puppy or a persistent chewer!
If you’re trying to teach your dog or puppy to stop destroying their bed, consider getting a dog crate or dog cage. Dog crates are an effective tool for both training purposes and when he’s feeling anxiety.